What we don't do, and who can help

We only manage the registration of motor vehicle traders. For dealer plates, and other matters relating to your business, other agencies can help.

Trade plates

If you have a query about trade plates, also known as 'dealer plates', contact Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency (NZTA).

Trade plates – Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency(external link)

Phone: 0800 108 809

Vehicle licensing

For vehicle registration and licensing queries, contact Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency (NZTA).

Vehicle licensing (rego) – Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency(external link)

Phone: 0800 108 809

Motor vehicle disputes

The Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal (MVDT) is administered by the Tāhū o te Ture Ministry of Justice, and can hear claims about motor vehicle sales that may have breached the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, the Fair Trading Act 1986, or the Contract and Commercial Law Act 2017.

Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal (MVDT)(external link)

Business tax

If you're new to the business of motor vehicle trading and you're not sure about taxation requirements, two useful resources are the Te Tari Taake Inland Revenue and business.govt.nz websites.

Te Tari Taake Inland Revenue(external link)

business.govt.nz(external link)

Vehicle safety rating labels

Vehicle safety rating labels can be printed by motor vehicle dealers and displayed on light vehicles for sale. They provide consumers with simple information about a vehicle’s safety performance when they’re making their next purchase – helping people to stay safe on our roads.

The safety rating label sits alongside the Vehicle Emissions and Energy Economy Label (VEEEL), which is administered by the Energy Efficiency & Conservation Authority (EECA). When traders generate labels for their vehicles, they can automatically generate a safety label for display alongside the VEEEL.

Vehicle Emissions and Energy Economy Label generator – EECA(external link)

Vehicle Emissions and Energy Economy Labels

It is a legal requirement under the Energy Efficiency (Vehicle Energy Economy Labelling) Regulations 2007 for motor vehicle traders to display Vehicle Emissions and Energy Economy Labels (VEEEL) on all light vehicles under 3.5 tonnes offered for sale, except for motorbikes, provided the information is available.

This applies to vehicles offered for sale both on the yard and online. Online sales include vehicles listed on platforms such as Trade Me and traders' own websites.

A motor vehicle trader is anyone who is identified as a Motor Vehicle Trader in accordance with sections 7 and 8 of the Motor Vehicle Sales Act 2003 and carrying out a business in motor vehicle trading.

EECA administers the VEEEL programme and compliance with the Regulations. Failure to comply with the Regulations can result in a penalty of up to $5,000 per offence (vehicle).

Find out your legal obligations to display a VEEEL if you sell or distribute vehicles – EECA(external link)